Saturday, March 19, 2011

Free Child Labor

Ahhh yes nothing like putting my kids to work. Free labor. Yes. Win, right? Wrong. I would like nothing better than to let my kids play on a Saturday. But sadly he chose to do this to himself. Why do you ask? Because he has a problem of sneaking. On Friday after work I went and got the kids and then stopped off at the local strip mall where the Girl Scouts were selling their awesome yummy cookies. I got a couple of boxes. Went home, told the boys we were going to have a movie night. Avery came to me about 20 minutes later and asked if he could have some cookies. I told him no, that we will have them after dinner. About 20 minutes later I went and grabbed the bag with the cookies in them to show Richard. I noticed that one of the boxes was opened and it was missing about 6 thin mints. I asked Richard if he had eaten some and he said he had not. So I called Avery in and asked him, his response was maybe....maybe ehh? I asked him again in a more firm voice, you know the voice coming from Mom...the if you lie you will die voice....he then said yes, I did. I asked why he took them after I told him no. He said well I really wanted them. The brat. He couldn't wait until after dinner, no...he had to have them RIGHT THEN. So he lost the privlage of movie night, went to bed an hour early and this morning while I'm stuck here at work he's washing the kitchen walls! Yes! This has been a HUGE problem of his. Taking whatever he wants even if we tell him no. He just goes in the kitchen and takes whatever he wants. I am at wits end. I don't know what to do to get it through his head he can't do this. If ANYONE has a suggestion please tell me, cause I'm going to have a very clean house here soon if he doesn't knock this crap off!

4 comments:

Beth W said...

Ahhh, testing the boundaries. I have no advice, except to stay firm as consistently as possible, until he understands that disobeying you will not be tolerated.

On the plus side- a clean house without having to work for it (other than supervise him, I'm sure), is a bonus. :)

Good luck!

Mary said...

Yup, gotta be consistant with kids, or they will run all over you! My kids are pretty good except a few quirks, but then again who wants perfect kids, right? That would just be creepy! haha Yes I am enjoying clean walls, next it will be the weeds in the yard, WIN!

Jill McQuade said...

So I remember when I was 6 or 7 my mother had just come home from the grocery store. I saw a bag of jelly beans. I wanted some but knew I wasn't supposed to eat them so I ran outside to play. A few mins later I ran in and opened the bag and ate a couple thinking no one would notice. I ran back outside to play. Ran back in and ate some more.. repeat until the entire bag was empty!! My mom asked if I had eaten them and I lied. (of course she knew I had done it) I still remember feeling the impulse to eat them. anyway, you said this has been a recurring problem for you. I don't know if this would help or not but I think you could make a small basket/corner (any kind of designated spot) filled with snacks, whatever kind you want (we have apples and string cheese) that he is allowed to eat from when he feels hungry. Good luck!

Sami said...

I can totally relate to this! My kids will not only sneak foods they want, but also priveleges. If they're told they cannot play outside, they sneak out to the backyard while I'm folding laundry, and do what they want. This happens with SO MANY THINGS. I'm losing my mind!
We have begun extending punishments, or starting punishments such as grounding over when they are caught breaking the rules of their initial punishment.
I think the punishment you gave him was perfect! Exactly the kind of thing I would have done...

Related Posts with Thumbnails